Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Enemy Pie



This is probably my second favorite book of all time.  (You already know my first all time favorite book if you've been reading my posts.)  This is a book every teacher should have in their classroom.  It would also make a great gift for one of your buckaroos.  In this fun loving book, a little boy learns an effective recipe for turning a best enemy into a best friend.

Have you ever thought about making a pie for your enemy?  Before you read this heart warming book, rope in your little buckaroo and brainstorm all the gross things you would use for the ingredients in your Enemy Pie.   Hmmmmm.....worms? dirt? scorpions? fingernails? You will really be surprised at how creative the kids will be.  Give them a pie pattern and let them illustrate what their pie would look like.

The kids will be surprised to learn what Enemy Pie really is and how effective it can work.  Go online and listen to the story.  I promise you will love it, too!  Leave me a comment below and let me know what you think.

After reading the story, I always made an Enemy Pie with my class.  Try making individual pies in mason jars....so easy!  The kids invited someone in their class that they considered to be "a not so good friend" to eat Enemy Pie with them!



It is a great lesson in teaching kids to make new friends.  It's one of those activities that my students talked about for a long time.

Happy Trails,
Mrs. B.

P.S.  For those of you that have just watched the movie "The Help,"  I know what you are thinking!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment